One Month Car Insurance
It might seem counter-intuitive just to get one month car insurance, especially when you can save more money with a 6 or 12-month policy. This strategy does have some distinct advantages, though. You might be on an extended vacation somewhere and want to know that you are protected, no matter what car you drive. Whatever the case might be, there are a few things that you will want to take into account as you decide on the coverage that’s best for you.
Auto Insurance Policies are Sold for 1 month to 12 Months
Monthly premiums are typically possible on car insurance policies for one to twelve months and everything in between. Some insurance companies there will even offer coverage for terms under one month, depending on the situation. These policies may be your best option, especially if you need only short-term policies.
Reasons to buy Auto Insurance for One Month
To begin with, you might not even own a car. If this is the case, you rarely need automobile insurance. There might only be those rare instances that you need to borrow a vehicle for a certain period. Remember that car ownership is not a requirement of getting a driver’s license. Neither is car insurance. At the same time, if you borrow a car for about a month, you will want to get at least coverage for that length of time. The best part is that such a short-term policy usually comes with no need for a credit check. This can help people with bad credit get better short-term rates.
How Auto Insurance Premiums are Calculated
Anyone searching for car insurance will understandably be interested in the premium. Even for one month of car insurance, the premium will typically depend on several different factors. The chief among them will be your driving record. You can do certain things and groups you belong to, which will lower your rates quite a bit on average. The key is to work hard to improve your skills as a driver. You need to demonstrate to the insurance company that you are a responsible and safe driver.
Other factors that will determine how much you pay for 1-month auto insurance are your vehicle type, age, and sex. Newer vehicles will cost more to insure because they are more expensive to repair and replace. Younger motorists under 25 will pay much higher rates on average than older motorists with a clean driving record. Get a free Goodtogoinsurance quote and compare multiple online quotes.
Compare Multiple Insurance Quotes and Find a Better Deal
The more effort you put into receiving your monthly car insurance quotation, the better your opportunity to get your premiums lowered will be. In fact, you can:
- Begin by taking a government-approved defensive driving course if you have not already done so.
- Show your certificate of completion to the agency and often get a premium discount.
- It would also be best if you avoid any penalties for reckless driving. That is exactly the opposite of showing the insurance company that you are a responsible driver.
- Qualifying for a discounted premium month-by-month car insurance will save you money in the long run.
- Compare at least ten quotes, so you can get the best deal. Many web-based providers have rates that are 20% cheaper than traditional, agent-based insurers. The more quotes you get, the greater chance you have of getting the best deal
Assess Your Needs Before Buying a Policy
Every driver is different, so you will want to evaluate your own situation to determine if a short term insurance plan is really in your best interest. You can, for example, obtain one-month car insurance and then cancel it when needed. It gives you the flexibility to drive on your own terms and get out of the policy when you no longer need it. The cancellation request will typically need to come in writing for your own protection. Also, do keep in mind that some states may ask for more information from you. Also, there may be an early cancellation fee assessed. Make sure to read the terms and conditions of your policy.
You should also be aware of your state’s mandatory insurance laws. You must carry minimum coverage and show proof of insurance when driving. You will want this anyway, so pay attention to what specific requirements exist in your area. Simultaneously, you may need to show that you no longer have the car before you are permitted to cancel the policy. In essence, you need to demonstrate that you are no longer driving for whatever reason. This way, the insurance company will allow you to get out after one month.
The Types of People Who Can Benefit from One Month Car Insurance
Many types of individuals might find benefits from monthly auto insurance. Take a look:
- Drivers who are young – Young drivers may not yet own their own car, nor do they have a need to drive much at all. A short-term insurance policy, such as just for the summer, might be perfect for them.
- Those who collect classic cars – Classic cars are not necessarily meant to be driven. Collectors may need a unique insurance policy in certain cases. They must be covered while driving the vehicle to a show or special event.
- Student drivers – If a student has a driver’s permit, getting 1-month car ins might be beneficial in keeping the monthly premiums low while driving only to learn.
- Emergency situations – Some individuals rarely drive. If a problem arises where driving becomes necessary for a month or two, this short-term policy may be exactly what is needed. You can even cancel some insurance policies after only one day.
Finding Inexpensive One Month Car Insurance
There are a few ways to get your insurance premiums lowered significantly. How does $100 or even less per month sound? Please look at the following seven ways that many people have found auto insurance for 1 month to provide them with a substantially better value.
- Avoid requiring form SR-22. Many states require this form if you have a bad driving record. It means that you must show you are financially able to pay for your insurance. It is a black mark against you, so you will want to do whatever it takes to keep from being asked to provide this form. You can almost always forget to get a lower monthly premium if you legally need it.
- Pay cash for your own car. If a bank owns the car, you may not get the best car insurance rates because many lenders will require a certain insurance level. This will almost always raise the premium you must pay each month.
- Only have one vehicle insured – If you have more than one car insured, the company will see that you have more risk of making a claim. The more cars you drive, the more opportunity there is for an accident. More than 90 percent of people who received a low monthly quote of $39 had no form SR-22, paid cash for their car, and only drove one vehicle. That is where you want to be as well.
- Keep continuous coverage. Insurance companies love drivers who can show they have been driving consistently with no major claims. If you have a significant lapse in coverage, they will see this as an indication that you are out of practice. It also indicates that you might not like paying your bills. It might be why you went without insurance for so long in the first place.
- Do not make any claims. While it is true that you want to have insurance to protect you in the event of an accident, you want to make sure it is a significant event before making a claim. The more claims you have, your premium is likely to be higher. Consider paying for minor issues that come up from time to time out of your own pocket.
- Keep a clean driving record. This is common sense. Insurance companies will often offer a nice discount if you can show that you are a responsible driver.
- Keep a high credit score. Many states allow your credit score to be used to provide a discount if it is over 650. This is a bonus. If you have poor credit, try to avoid insurers that check your credit, if possible.
State Insurance Requirements You Need to be Aware of
The first step towards getting car insurance is to determine what you require. You will want to collect some information and then look at the options. Once you have that, narrow down your choices. To do this, you must determine what you need from a shorter insurance policy. Find out how long you will need the coverage and if it is for yourself or another individual. Remember that risk plays a factor in how much the premium will be in the end. At the same time, look at the legal requirements for car insurance in your state to determine what minimum coverage you will require.
Some states will have minimum liability limits set at $25,000 for injuries to a person. Besides, you will need $50,000 for everyone involved in the accident and another $10,000 to cover property damage. Remember that liability coverage only covers the other vehicle involved in the accident and not your own. Some states will also mandate that you have coverage if you are in an accident with an uninsured motorist. Some states do not have such a requirement.
Items Covered by Short-Term Insurance
Remember that short-term insurance policies fill a particular need but do not cover everything under the sun. Some policies will have many different options to choose from, selecting which will determine your premium. Choose the ones that you really need, and leave the rest. Here are some possible items:
- Liability Coverage – This type of coverage will cover the expenses incurred by the other party when you are at fault in an accident. This is so important because you would be liable for the accident and could be sued without it. Keep in mind that none of this coverage will apply to any person who is actually in your own car at the time of the accident.
- Bodily Injury Liability – This type of coverage pays out for the people’s medical expenses in the other car when you are determined to be at fault in an accident. Keep in mind the coverage limits. While smaller limits will lower your premiums, they can also open you up to litigation if the accident is severe enough to warrant higher medical expenses.
- Property Damage Liability – As its name implies, this type of coverage will pay for the damage to another vehicle when you are at fault for the crash.
Auto Insurance Policy Options to Consider
- Personal Injury Protection: This type of coverage will cover your and your passenger’s medical expenses in an accident, regardless of fault. If you cannot work for a while because of the accident, this coverage will also help pay for that lost income.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is required in some states. It will pay your expenses if the other driver is deemed to be at fault and was not insured at the time of the accident.
- Collision: This type of coverage will pay to have your car repaired or replaced after a crash. Remember that the insurance company determines what is to be done here in most situations.
- Comprehensive – This type of coverage will pay for damages and lost items that occurred, even if there was no accident.
Possible Discounts for One Month Car Insurance
Following is a list of possible discounts you might consider asking about to get your premium lowered even further.
- Consider a bundled package – Similar to telecommunications companies, bundling your auto, life, and home insurance into one can often get you up to five percent off the premiums for each.
- Airbag – Good discounts are offered if you drive a vehicle with driver’s side airbags and even more for full-front airbags.
- Anti-Lock brakes – Insurance companies like vehicles equipped with anti-lock braking systems. They are often willing to offer a discount on comprehensive insurance policies.
- Daytime Running Lights – You can get a small discount if you have a vehicle that has a daytime running light feature installed on it
- Accident-Free for Five Years – If you have a stellar driving record, you can expect your premiums to decrease somewhat. Insurance companies typically look at the last five years when making this determination.
- Defensive Driving – A monthly premium discount might be coming if you take and pass a defensive driving course.
- Driver’s Education – Send your son or daughter to a driver’s education course, and you should see a discount on some types of coverage
- Good Student Discount – It pays to get good grades, so make sure your sons and daughters understand this
- Military – Some insurance companies will offer car insurance discounts to members of the military
Remember to shop around and look for the best one month car insurance quote possible. You have options. Use the Internet to conduct your research. Do your due diligence and do plenty of research to find the best deal available.